Sunday 26 July 2015

INTERESTING TIMES by Matthew Storm

INTERESTING TIMES by Matthew Storm
 
Pages: 228
Date: July 26, 2015
Details: No. 1 Interesting Times
E-book


The blurb:

“Oliver Jones was a dull man living a dull life, until one night a stray cat began speaking to him. In English. And that was before things got really strange. Now he is on the run, hunted by an inhuman assassin who will stop at nothing to kill him. His only hope for survival rests with a trio of unlikely new allies: A werewolf with a fondness for Hawaiian shirts, a strange little girl who just might be immortal, and a gunfighter with an anger management problem. Oliver always wanted a little excitement in his life, but now he finds himself living in Interesting Times... 

From the Back Cover:

"You see that house?" Tyler pointed at the building they had just left. "It exists at a single fixed point in time. From its perspective the outside world never moves and never changes. So we use it as a safe house. It's a great place to hide for a while."

"A fixed point in time?" Oliver asked. "So...is this the past? Or the future?" Oliver was beginning to think he'd need a physics textbook to understand all of this. Or possibly some LSD.”


My thoughts:     

“Now he was on the run, and the only people he felt sure he could trust, albeit hesitantly, were a creepy little girl, a woman who had threatened to shoot him and...Tyler. Tyler, a man who possessed a very questionable fashion sense, but made up for it with fantastic baking skills.”

Intrigued yet? That is only the start of the weird and wonderful. I mean I haven’t mentioned the werewolves, talking cat, vampires or lizard people yet, have I?

I always enjoy a book in which the nonsensical appears to make perfect sense, especially when it’s a case of a very average person being thrown into an anything but average situation. And that is exactly what happens in Interesting Times. I’m not even going to try and explain the story to you. Read the blurb and then dive into an adventure in which the mad is normal. This book is wacky and fun. There were moments when I laughed out loud. The storyline is so ludicrous it shouldn’t work, and I guess that’s probably the reason it does work very well.

This is a book to read when you need something that will capture you and transport you to a magical world filled with delights, shocks and surprises. Once you’re stuck into the story it is very hard to stop reading. Events follow each other in quick succession and keep the reader turning the pages in order to find out what form of madness they’re going to run into next. Expect the unexpected. Believe the unbelievable and enjoy this wild ride. It will be a few hours very well, and very enjoyably spent.

I didn't mention this in my reviews on either Amazon or Goodreads because what I'm about to say next didn't interfere with my reading enjoyment at all, and shouldn't be taken as criticism. But I have to say that I've got the distinct feeling Matthew Storm may be an avid reader with books like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Passage on the list of books he has read. Mind you, if I'm right about that, I have to say there are worse places to find inspiration.


It is very good to know the sequel, Interesting Places, is already available. I can’t see it taking me long before I read that one.

5 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued! I love the nonsensical! They always make sense to me.. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case this should be right up your street. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, Yukari.

      Delete
  2. Oh WOW. This sounds SO interesting to me!! Definitely getting this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. Just bought it. And something I never do... I bought #2 before even reading #1.

      You're gonna make me go broke if I keep reading your reviews! LOL :)

      Delete
    2. You're way ahead of me now. But, I think I may have to buy the second book later this week. I'm very curious where the story may go next and any time is a good time for a quirky book. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete